When having dinner there are many guests you’d want to invite over. Loved ones, friends, family… the list goes on. But there’s one guest prone to inviting themselves that we’re never happy to see: ants. Found across the world in almost any climate, ants have made a name for themselves as a consistent unwanted presence in our homes. While it may be hard to evict them, there are many things you can do to keep ants out in the first place. Ant prevention is the first step to keeping your home free of an ant infestation.
Finding Ants in Your Home
When you find one ant in your home, that likely means there are others. A single ant scout will go out in search of food, leaving a scent trail for others to follow. Meaning that once you’ve found one ant, there are many more right behind it. In Southern California, you’re likely to deal with one of these two ant species:
- Argentine Ants are voracious diners, known to form colonies opportunistically in detritus and cracks in the wall. They can even form super-colonies across large areas.
- Red Imported Fire Ants have been a prevalent problem in Orange County since the late 90s. These ants are infamous for their aggressive behavior and venomous sting. While usually found on farms consuming vegetation, rural areas are at a heightened risk of encountering this dangerous pest.
It may not be too late if there’s only one or two. Ants use scent trails to navigate, so it’s important to wipe away any pheromone trails that would lead more to you. A little vinegar or bleach as a cleaner should do the trick.
Steps For Ant Prevention
The best way to keep your property safe from ants is to prevent the pests from getting indoors in the first place. Though it can be challenging to keep these tiny insects out, there are a few steps you can follow to keep ants out:
- Seal up any cracks leading inside your home. Ants often come in through a crack in the door, open window, or even holes in the wall. It’s necessary to make sure there’s no entries into your home.
- Keep all food sealed in air-tight containers. This includes the fridge, the pantry, or the countertops. Ants are dauntless explorers when in search of a meal.
- Keep counters and floors clean. Even the smallest crumbs will attract ants to your home. Even if you’ve only seen one, there are more on the way.
For when your ant problem is too much to handle on your own, our experts are ready to help. At Econex, our pest control technicians are certified in Integrated Pest Management (IPM). IPM will ensure your home and lawn are free of pests in a way that is safe for you and your pets. We take an individualized approach to your property to ensure a tailored experience specific to your needs.
The days of needing to vacate your home for extermination are long past. Protecting your property from ants doesn’t have to mean disruption of your life or your finances. Econex is an environmentally safe and pest preventative service with over 24 years of keeping you pest-free. Contact the professionals with Econex Pest Management today to get a free quote!